One of the many pleasant surprises we have from blogging is the amount of inspiration and new friends we discover. We started blogging as a way to challenge ourselves to be better gardeners and cooks, but found so much more. As always, we are very grateful to everyone who visits us, but also to everyone who takes the time to share their photos, recipes and cocktails. We learn new things and meet amazing people (from all over the world) almost every day, which is as close to a definition of “happiness” as we can find.
One area where we do fall short (and there are plenty) is responding to the occasional blogger award nominations we receive. We are grateful and apologize for the slow response. The “awards” that are out there an interesting deal, and we know some bloggers like them and some don’t. While it may be a bit “spammy” and a way to drive discovery, it is a great wat to discover new blogs. And some of these blogs really rock. On balance, there are never enough good blogs too read. So here are a few awards:
- Cooking with Corinna, a very good home-cooking blog nominated us for a 7×7 link award. Thanks!
- Taste of Wintergreen, Lindy’s excellent seasonal cooking blog (and we like seasonal cooking blogs), nominated us for a Liebster Award. Thanks!
- And South By Southeast, Betsy’s lovely cooking blog from the Low Country nominated us for a One Lovely Blog Award. Before settling in California, we both had ties to the Low Country, one of our favorite places. Betsy’s blog supplies inspiration and fond memories. We are very grateful.
- Finally, it wasn’t an award but Michael at the Liquid Culture Project, gave us a kind mention on his cocktail blog. Michael is doing some of the best writing in cocktails right now (IMHO) and the mention was a real treat. We made the Hot Toddies from one of Michael’s recent posts and they were one of the better drink’s we’ve had (and we’ve had a few).
So each of these awards has “rules’ on how to respond, but we don’t love rules and hope that we can respond with a few fun facts, a few good sites and some photos. (And good, if somewhat lazy, intentions).
- We love the SF Giants, but this postseason is killing us. Five elimination games is exhausting. At least they are still in it.
- “From the ashes of disaster come the roses of success”- Chitty-Chitty, Bang, Bang.
- Pretty easy to find those ashes in our garden and kitchen sometimes. Yo, where’s my #$%@ roses?
- We are being lazy about our winter garden. Hard to plant when you still have tomatoes (that is today’s excuse).
- We are starting to improve many recipes by taking ingredients out. This doesn’t always work, but try it, you may be surprised.
- Spontaneous Tomato
- Gourmet Veggie Mama
- Erin’s DC Kitchen
- Romancing The Bee
- Juicy Bites
- The Muddy Kitchen
- Rated R Cocktails
And even though fall is here and the rains have come, the flowers are still blooming. Here are a few to share: