Here at the farm, we don’t tend to get overly exercised about all the silliness in the world of food marketing. Trends come and go, health claims are made (and debunked) and everything ends up “super” or “mega” or “free” of something. And normally we just say “meh”, and go back to cooking.
But recently I saw an ad for a “Big Barbecue Burger” that was just a big burger (cooked on a flat top) with onion rings and some barbecue sauce. And that got me thinking, “there is barely anything ‘barbecue’ about that burger except the sauce….that’s kinda lame”. And then I decided that we needed to make a real barbecue burger. Happily, we had an easy solution.
To have a real “Barbecue Burger” you need to have some real barbecue. And since we just pulled pork for Memorial Day, we had leftovers. Normally we crisp up the leftovers for tacos (so good, and worth a future post), but why not put the pork on a grilled burger? And why not add some cheddar cheese, bacon, sautéed onion, real barbecue sauce and serve it all on a buttered and toasted bun?
Why not, indeed. Let us be the first to say that if you didn’t have enough motivation to make pulled pork already, serving it on a burger should get you moving. Smokey, salty, sweet, savory, tangy, soft, crunchy and crispy all in the same bite. Close to a perfection. And with such a strong foundation of flavors and textures, you can build on this burger all summer. We certainly will…
Notes before you start:
- You do need pulled pork for this dish, but you could also use the meat from barbecued ribs. Also, we haven’t tried adding barbecued brisket to the top of a burger, but it is an experiment we plan to try.
What You Get: A perfect barbecue burger that actually lives up to its name.
What you need: Some real barbecue. Go get started…
How Long? Assuming you already have the barbecue, less than an hour. Time well spent.
- 1 – 1 1/2 pounds of freshly ground chuck
- 1 pound pulled pork
- 4-6 slices smoked bacon
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 hamburger buns
- Barbecue sauce (use your favorite)
- Prepare your outdoor grill (or grill pan) for high heat cooking.
- Form the burgers into four equal patties no more than 1/2 inch thick. Press the center of the burger slightly with your thumb (this keeps the burger flat when cooking). Butter the hamburger buns.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the bacon until crisp and remove from the pan, but keep the fat in the pan. Add the onions to the pan, move the heat to medium-low and cook until browned and soft, about 15 minutes. Season to taste.
- Reheat your leftover barbecue in a skillet over medium heat or in the (gasp!) microwave.
- When your grill is ready, grill the burgers 3-4 minutes per side for medium rare, seasoning with salt and pepper while cooking. When you flip the burgers add the pulled pork and the grated cheese. When done, remove the burgers from the grill and let then rest for at least five minutes. Meanwhile, toast the buns while the burgers rest.
- To assemble the burgers, place the burger on the bottom bun, add the bacon, onions and barbecue sauce. Then top with the bun and serve.
Reblogged this on VIVIMETALIUN.
Here as well! never been a food trend “follower or unfollower” I say, Why complicate life with food rules. Let’s eat 😉
Indeed- thanks for the visit!
I have to quit reading stuff like this at dinner time. This looks awesomely delicious. I agree with Cucina Amore: enough talk, let’s eat!
This sounds like the perfect BBQ burger. Thanks for posting this in time for summer! 🙂
Hi- thx for the visit. Hope all is well up there!
One might think this looks like too much. That thought does not survive in my mind’s environment. Because I would eat that right now, dream about it – then eat another in the morning, then another for “second breakfast” – and would not understand anyone who wouldn’t. Bravo! A very reverent bravo.
We are all for “second breakfast”!
Looks delicious but couldn’t eat the whole this, great dish to split! 🙂
recent post: Grilled Salmon http://michaelswoodcraft.wordpress.com/2014/06/09/grilled-salmon/
Indeed (it is a big bite) but fun to share. And it looks great on the plate…
Now that is my kind of burger! Looks absolutely stellar! Yum!
Looks delicious! Definitely will have to give this a try. 🙂
This one is really worth a try!